Inches to Feet Conversion: Three Methods
When you know the basics, converting between inches and feet is a breeze. Since there are 12 inches in a foot, simply divide the number of inches you have by 12 to get the corresponding number of feet.
Inches are the place to begin. Don't forget to jot down or plug this figure into your calculator. Make sure to note the unit of measurement as "inches" if you record it. "
- Now, let's take a look at a sample problem. Writing "70" on a piece of paper is the first step in determining how many feet tall a girl who measures 70 inches is.
Subtract 12 from this sum.  How many times can 12 be squeezed into your measurement in inches? If you measure the length of something exactly so many times, you'll get a whole number as an answer. A decimal, fraction, or mixed number will result if the value is not a perfect multiple of your inches.
- To illustrate, if we divide 70 inches by 12, we get 5 83 As an alternative notation, we can write this as 5 remainder 10 or 5 and 10/12 (5 and 5/6) Details on remainders are provided below.
Measure your answer in feet. You've just been given the correct answer in terms of feet. Put the word "feet" in front of it. If this is for school, and you fail to include the label, you may receive fewer points.
- The number we got back was 5. Instead of writing 83, we would use 5 83 feet Five years old, the girl. One who is 83 feet in height
Multiply by 12 to convert back to inches.  Multiply your feet measurement by 12 to convert it to inches.  Since multiplying is equivalent to dividing in reverse, you'll get back the same amount of inches you started with.
- As an illustration, let's say that 5 An 83-inch cube multiplied by a 12-inch circle yields a The inches we started with were these.
5Decimals and fractions require the same operations. It's not always a whole number when referring to inches.  Follow the same steps outlined above if your inch measurement only appears as a fraction or decimal. For more information on how to divide decimals and fractions, check out the relevant articles on WikiHow.
- Let's apply this to a sample issue to illustrate the process. 15 feet? We'll figure it out. Inches of 4 inches and 15 and 2/5 inches are Just look at how differently they're written; these are the same numbers.
- 15 (decimal) 4 / 12 = 1 28 feet
- Inches: 15 + 2/5 = (75 + 2/5), or 77 2/5 1 and 17/60 feet is equal to 77/5 inches (12 inches minus 5 inches) multiplied by 1/12 (twelve months).
Just divide the inches by 12 to get the fraction. It is common practice to write foot measurements as a combination of feet and inches rather than as fractions or decimals. A person could be "five feet, nine inches tall," for instance.  The "feet and inches" measurements are simple to obtain. To begin, divide the total by 12.
- In this portion, we will determine how many feet 28 inches is. As a first step, let's divide 28 by 12. 28 / 12 = 2 33
Learn the missing piece If you divide a number and the pieces don't quite "fit," you'll end up with a remainder. The term for this is "remainder." If you divide 16 by 5, for instance, you'll find that 5 almost fits in all three places. One is still "extra." Since 3 is a remainder, 1 is the answer to 16 / 5, etc. Find the quotient in your division problem. 
- For this reason, we can see that 12 multiplied by 28 yields a total of 48, with some extra. 12 × 2 = 24 Because 24 is 4 less than 28, the difference is 4. Here's where we could put in our answer on paper: 2 33, as 2 R 4
Consider the whole number to be feet and the remainder to be inches. Getting a "feet and inches" measurement is simple once you know the whole number answer and its remainder. The sum of your digits is equal to the distance you have traveled in feet. The number of inches you get as a result of your calculation is For example: "x feet, y inches" would be an acceptable written response. "
- The solution to our example problem was found to be 2 R 4. We have two feet in our solution because 2 is a whole number. Knowing that 4 is the remainder, we can determine that we have 4 inches. In this case, the correct answer is 2 yards, 4 inches
Multiply the feet by 12 and then add the inches to get back to feet and inches. It's a little more challenging than usual to convert back to inches when working with these types of measurements. To do this, divide the total feet by 12 to get started. The result will be an exact measurement in inches. Simply add the other set of inches to this one to get a metric-only result.
- Multiplying 2' by 12' is the first step in our illustration. 24 inches is 2 x 12 inches. It's 28 inches long when you add those 4 inches to it. That was our first, official measurement in inches.
To what extent do I multiply 5' 8" by 7"?
To get the correct height in inches, we must first convert 5 feet, 8 inches to feet, and then to inches. Then, divide 68 inches by 7. This is equal to 476 square inches.
How many feet and inches is 5110 millimeters?
5,110 mm ÷ 25 4 = 201 18 inches To get a height of 16 feet and 9 inches by dividing by 12, 18 inches
Can you help me figure out how to convert 45 inches to feet as a fraction?
If you want to know how many feet you have, you can do so by dividing the number of inches by 12, as there are 12 inches in a foot. 45 divided by 12 equals 3 ft. 9 in., or 3 3/4 ft.
Put Your Mind to the Test
Like Wikipedia, many articles on wikiHow are the result of collaborative writing by a large group of authors working in a collaborative environment. Over the course of its creation, this article was revised and improved by 19 people, some of whom remain anonymous. Over 309,363 people have visited this page!
Updated: On this date in 2022, August 29
Categories: Aids to Conversion
Changing the measurement from inches to feet is simple. To convert inches to feet, simply divide the desired number by 12, as there are 12 inches in 1 foot. A height of 24 inches, for instance, can be converted to feet by dividing by 12, yielding a result of 2 feet. A fraction will be included in the result if the number of inches cannot be converted exactly to a whole number of feet. Assume, for the sake of argument, that you need to determine the length of a 50-inch object. The result of dividing 12 by 4 is approximately 4 To the nearest hundredth of an inch, 17 feet The same holds true for lengths under 12 inches, which result in a decimal place after being converted to feet. If you take 7 inches and divide by 12, you get about 0. Fifty-eight meters, or slightly more than a foot Multiplying by 12 will get you back to inches from feet. If you get a number like 5 as a result, this can also be useful. If you have a length in inches and feet, such as 5 feet, and you need to convert just the decimal, click here. Increasing the by 5 multiplied by 12 gives you 6 inches; rewrite this as 5 feet, 6 inches. Keep reading down below to find out what to do if the inches are written as a decimal.
- Don't be shy about contacting your favorite authors with letters of support.
To convert 5 milliliters to ounces, simply multiply the amount by the number of milliliters in an ounce. It's important to remember that 1 ounce is equal to exactly 1000 milliliters. Simply multiply the amount in milliliters (ml) by zero to get the equivalent in fluid ounces (fl oz). Simply take
The When someone is measuring a length, the question of how to convert feet to meters inevitably arises in our minds. But before we get too far into the feet-to-meters conversion, let's figure out the history and context of the two units. Don't worry, we'll explain the concept of these
WebP images can be converted to JPG in several ways: convert webp images to jpegs online utilizing the operating system-provided Paint (Windows) or Preview (Mac OS), installing a third-party image editor like Adobe Photoshop WebP is Google's replacement for the popular JPEG, GIF,
Free online MOV to MP4 conversion is now possible with this handy tool. Movavi's desktop converter is great for converting large files. Check out the desktop appLook into the computer program Help CenterHelp Desk How-tos Free Online Tool to Convert MOV to MP4 in a